The HVAC tech who saved the family from a fire

I read the paper this morning while the HVAC provider was doing my apartment’s furnace/heater repairs.

  • I was so engrossed in the story I was reading that I did not hear the HVAC repairman ask if he could uninstall the temperature control device as it had malfunctioned the previous night.

I also needed them to check on the portable space heater to provide whole home heating. The story I read was about an HVAC tech who saved a family from a house fire. From the professional’s account of the story, he had gone over to the house to do the annual furnace/heater tune-up when he noticed the hydronic heating unit was leaking. There is some equipment the heating contractor needed to fix the unit that he ordered from the local HVAC business. As they waited for the components to be delivered, the family recounted the symptoms they had noticed before booking the appointment. The furnace/heater installation had occurred about a decade ago, meaning the unit was pretty aged. They had a loud bang, and when the technician checked, he was surprised to see the quality HVAC equipment catch fire. He immediately ran to the living room shouting ‘fire, fire!’ the family was shocked, they ran out of the house and called the fire department. The fire department came in time to save the house from engulfing. They called him the quality heating rescuer, an ironic name fit for that situation. I told my engineers about the story, and we all found it fascinating and encouraging that no one was hurt in the fire.

cooling technology